PDA

View Full Version : Mary Tillman: 'Gen. McChrystal involved in orchestrating cover-up'

bobdina
08-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Mary Tillman: 'Gen. McChrystal involved in orchestrating cover-up'
Mon Aug 16,2010 11:30 AM ET By Rick Chandler

The Tillman Story, a documentary about the life and death of NFL-star-turned-Army-Ranger Pat Tillman, is due for limited release on Friday. But there's already a perfect storm of controversy surrounding the main players in the saga; most notably General Stanley McChrystal, who signed off on the report that Tillman was killed by friendly fire in 2004. About a month after his death, the Army announced that Tillman was killed accidentally -- by his own men. Tillman's mother, Mary Tillman, spoke with CBS Early Show co-anchor Erica Hill this morning on additional information that's coming out in the paperback version of her book, Boots On the Ground By Dusk: Searching For Answers In the Death of Pat Tillman. Mary Tillman, on McChrystal:

"I wrote the book, came out in 2008, and I indicate that McChrystal was involved in orchestrating the cover-up. He falsified the Silver Star. He was very aware that Pat was killed by friendlies."

"And then, when he was going to be promoted to the head commander in Afghanistan, I had contacted President Obama, I e-mailed him and written a letter and contacted members of Congress, just trying to remind them that this man needed to be scrutinized very carefully. And in the end, it turned out that he was pretty much meant for that position. He was a shoo-in. Of course, he was promoted. And, that is part of the foreword."

Mary responded, "The documentary in part is to try to present Pat as a human being and not this caricature that was created. But the biggest reason for this documentary is to point out the horrible way that he was used. His death was lied about by the military, by the government. But he's not an isolated incident. This happens on a regular basis. It's a systemic problem. It's not isolated to the Bush Administration. It's happened for years. And it's tolerated."

She continued, "Troops (are) being killed and the military lies to the family about what really happened."

Hill asked, "So, you feel that's something that is an ongoing problem for a number of families, they're not getting the full story from the government?"

Mary replied, "Yes. I believe that's true. I've met many of them."

Last week The Huffington Post released two letters written by Pat Tillman's father, Pat Tillman Sr., to the General in charge of the investigation, Gary M. Jones, ending one with "F*** you and yours."

I'm very interested to see this documentary, but don't expect to get definitive answers as to what exactly happened to Pat Tillman on that tragic day. As Mary Tillman herself said to CBS, no one will ever know the full truth, probably. However, Tillman's bravery and ultimate sacrifice for his country, and the shameful politics surrounding the cover-up during an election year, will remain as legacies, and should never be forgotten

http://outofbounds.nbcsports.com/2010/08/tillman-gen-mcchrystal-involved-in-orchestrating-the-cover-up.html.php

b__Rad
08-16-2010, 11:45 PM
If I read this right it was stated he was killed by friendly fire...Correct me if I'm wrong.
--
Then a month later it said he was killed accidentally by his own men; as if that were different than friendly fire.

I'm sure they know that's not in contrast to the first report because being accidentally shot by your soldiers is still friendly fire so I'm not following where the BIG point lies within this???

bobdina
08-16-2010, 11:47 PM
If I read this right it was stated he was killed by friendly fire...Correct me if I'm wrong.
--
Then a month later it said he was killed accidentally by his own men; as if that were different than friendly fire.

I'm sure they know that's not in contrast to the first report because being accidentally shot by your soldiers is still friendly fire so I'm not following where the BIG point lies within this???

I will try and find some of the Article 15-6 paperwork that was done for this investigation and post it here. It reads really fucked up including a head shot from 65 yards away when he was already down.

For now read these letters that are in this article and you will learn more then you want about this case. I love my Army but the Commanders on the ground and behind desks fucked this one up bad,all they had to do was admit it was friendly fire right away and discipline the shooters.Anyone who has been here for a while knows I usually don't second guess people or things because I was not there and have been in a few situations where I would not want to be Monday morning quaterbacked myself. And when I say discipline the shooters read the letters and you'll see why I say that, however after reading some of the Army's own statements in this case there should be second guessing. Bob

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/12/pat-tillmans-father-to-ar_n_680128.html

b__Rad
08-17-2010, 12:42 AM
I have a hard time believing that this was a "Pat Tillman joined the rangers lets kill him" premeditated kinda ordeal. I do however believe it was a big bunch of bad decisions and military cover-up.
--
I don't think that another ranger would kill one of their own "intentionally" maybe he did it in a way as he was not following correct procedure or something of that sort. I'm more than sure he was at fault for alot of incorrect fire that took place that day. I'm also sure the cover-up began as soon as they found out who it was due to the outrage in the media had it been correctly noted as it should've been despite how the media spun it.
--
as for the headshot, i dont believe it was done in malice like....well I've already shot him with a 240 I might as well finish it kind of manner.....

Thanks for the article Bob it was really educating, as I'd never read it. His father has a right to be upset but I think for some reason he's seeing a murder conspiracy which I can't even stomach to think would happen within our military.

Then again we did have a Ft Hood massacre..

bobdina
08-17-2010, 02:58 AM
Totally agree, I would bet my left nut there is no conspiracy but the Commanders really screwed the pooch on this one. Friendly fire will happen. It's been cut by 99% but it will still happen. All they had to do from the outset was say it was friendly fire, non-judicial punish those troops who were negligent(so far everything I've read said this was one of the avoidable friendly fire situation) and it would have been all over a long time ago.

b__Rad
08-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Absolutely, this shows how our government works when dealing with the media. They'll take something simple and to the point fuck it all up trying to get it away from the media's attention and then it causes a complete shit storm.